10 Things I Want My Children to KnowPosted: February 13, 2014
I have seen a number of blogs posting about things they want their son or daughter to know and I love the lists that I have come across so far. I decided to come up with a few of my own for both of you.
10 Things I Want My Children to Know
1. Please try. I know you may not want to do something, but at least try it. It could be a new food, book or sport. Whatever it is, you have to try it out before you know if you like it. Don’t get stuck in a rut!
2. Be kind. I want you both to grow up always thinking about others. There are times when you will need to go out of your way to be kind to others and in those moments people will really see who you are. Kindness goes a long way and could really change someone’s day.
3. Smile a lot. Smiles are gifts and you can give those to complete strangers and people you see every day. They can light up a room and are contagious.
4. Be polite. Your father and I are real sticklers for teaching manners. We want you both to be well mannered but above all, ALWAYS say Please and Thank You. The rest will come with time but that is where we are starting now. You are only 3 and 1 so I think we have some time to make sure the rest are taught as well. Chace – we are starting to teach you about holding the door and letting others go first. People notice when you go out of the way to do the right thing. Always be polite.
5. Have impromptu dance parties. If you feel like dancing, then dance. In our car, house, the market, when music comes on and we feel like dancing, we dance. It will help with #3. Many people will end up smiling.
6. Take care of each other. You will always have each other and I want you both to take care of each other because after I am gone, you will only have the other to lean on.
7. Read books. I have always loved reading but I know that is not the case for everyone. Reading can open your eyes and mind to many things and it can take you places you would not normally think of. It’s great for the imagination and that’s why each and every day we read and read and read. I will never say no to buying a new book.
8. Cry if you need to. Having emotions is a good thing and showing them is even better. Don’t be afraid to cry if you need to. Just be prepared to dust yourself off and pick yourself up and move on. Crying helps get over what is bothering you.
9. Laugh and laugh a lot. I love the sound of laughter especially from you two. I want you to always have funny things in your life because while you are laughing, you are smiling and that means you are happy. Laughing can be contagious too! Don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself too. It makes you stronger.
10. Learn something new everyday. Learning new things will make you better people. It doesn’t matter if it is something big or small as long as you are always learning. Be curious and ask questions whenever you are interested and want to know more.